What Is GlycoDrive™?
Quick GlycoDrive™ Summary Points
- GlycoDrive™ is an advanced patented form of carbohydrate which has been shown to pass through the stomach quicker and support endurance.
- In addition, it’s been shown to have a more sustained release profile, making it an ideal carb to use during longer events and training sessions.
- Due to its shorter transit time in the stomach, there are also fewer gastrointestinal issues with its use such as bloating, cramping, burping and flatulence.
- GlycoDrive™ is best used before workouts for maximum benefit as it doesn’t really result in an insulin spike required for fast energy or anabolic muscle building purposes.
- GlycoDrive™ is best stacked with Aminos and proteins but can be combined with other supplements as well.
What is GlycoDrive™?
Simple. It is 100% Highly Branch Chained Cyclic Dextrin which is a specific group type of carbohydrate that is essentially six to eight molecules of dextrose (glucose) bonded together in the shape of a ring. Chemically speaking, cyclic dextrin is not too different in chemical components to maltodextrin. However, maltodextrin is arranged in a linear fashion, and not a ring. This ring structure is what gives cyclic dextrin some benefits you will not find with maltodextrin or other common carbohydrates.
Where Does GlycoDrive™ Come From?
HBCD’s can occur in nature from bacterial degradation of carbohydrates. However, they can also be synthetically produced from starch using a series of enzymes. The resulting products can then be purified to be used for various purposes.
All serious athletes know the importance of carbohydrates. They are a primary fuel source, are needed to replace muscle glycogen, and are essential for optimal performance. However, carbohydrates behave very differently depending on their properties. When GlycoDrive™ is ingested, it behaves in various ways that are beneficial to exercise performance and bodybuilding.
Earlier studies involving the benefits of the patented ingredient in GlycoDrive™ in exercise was performed. It was shown that when highly taken, it was able to pass through the stomach quicker, and increased endurance compared to either water or glucose solutions. Furthermore, this was done with a smaller spike in blood glucose levels, indicating a more sustained energy release. In addition to these mentioned findings, it was also suggested that the short gastric transit time was a result of the very low osmolarity of the GlycoDrive™ solution. What this means is that it was less likely to cause stomach upsets such as bloating, burping, and flatulence compared to more traditional carbohydrate sources.
What doesn’t it do?
GlycoDrive™ does not cause a sharp insulin spike after being consumed. This means that if you are after rapid bursts of fast energy, or hope to benefit from insulin spikes for anabolic purposes, GlycoDrive will not be the correct carbohydrate for this job.
WHEN TO USE GLYCO-DURANCE FOR A TWO HOUR WORKOUT/TRAINING SESSION OR COMPETITION
1. BEFORE workout or competition mix at least 1 scoop in 8-11 oz. of cold water with PreWOD and drink it at least 30 minutes before workout/competition.
2. DURING workout or competition, for each hour of activity mix at least 1 scoop in 20 – 26 oz. of cold water with AMINO’s and drink throughout the WOD
3. AFTER workout or competition mix at least one (1) scoop in 12-16 oz. of cold water with your protein of choice and drink within the first 30 minutes after workout/competition for optimal muscle glycogen store replenishment and recovery
CARB LOADING for a Competition: You may carbo-load with GlycoDrive for two to three days before a major event. One (1) or two (2) scoops in 12-16 oz. of cold water, twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening should be sufficient.
GlycoDrive Recommended Dose and Ingredient Timing
When considering the dosing for GlycoDrive, it can just be assumed that it is like any other carbohydrate.
As with other carbohydrates, the timing of ingestion is rather important. For best results, GlycoDrive can be consumed before a WOD together with a pre workout in order to provide sustained energy during the workout. Although it is a carbohydrate that clears rapidly from the stomach.